The undergraduate minor in German requires a minimum of 15 s.h. earned in college-level German courses, including at least 12 s.h. taken at the University of Iowa. All Department of German courses (prefix GRMN) numbered 3000 or above and taught in German count toward the minor. Students must maintain a g.p.a. of at least 2.00 in all courses for the minor and in all UI courses for the minor. Coursework in the minor may not be taken pass/nonpass.

The minor may include a maximum of 3 s.h. in Department of German courses numbered 2002-2100. The German Language and Culture Advanced Placement (AP) exam with a score of 4 or higher is considered to be the equivalent to GRMN:2002 - Intermediate German II. Students with previous knowledge of German language, should take the World Languages Placement Test (WLPT) to determine the best level for your first enrollment in a language course. Furthering Language Incentive Program (FLIP) credit courses count as equivalent to GRMN:2002 - Intermediate German II and 3 s.h. is applicable toward the minor.

The undergraduate minor in German includes courses in German language, literature and culture. Language courses focus on developing the four communicative skills –speaking, listening, reading, and writing, while upper-level courses expand upon these skills and help to foster critical analysis skills through the study of cultural products, including literary texts and films.

Listed below are the general categories of coursework required to earn the degree; for more specific information on courses, curriculum, and requirements of the minor in German, visit the UI General Catalog.

Coursework Requirements
Title Hours
Five courses in college-level German 15
Total Hours 15

Study Abroad

The University of Iowa offers a number of opportunities for study in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. Students frequently choose to participate in the summer USAC Lüneburg program, the Dortmund University Exchange, or the Academic Year in Freiburg program at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg. Students should consult the Office of Study Abroad and the German undergraduate advisor to select a program that fits their interests.

Students pursuing a minor in German often enroll in one of the summer sessions offered by the USAC Lüneburg program, but minors are eligible for all study abroad programs offered by the University. Up to 6 s.h. of study abroad credit can be applied to the requirements for the minor.

For more information about study abroad opportunities, contact the Department of German or International Programs Study Abroad.

Teacher Licensure

Students who plan to use their work toward a minor in German as academic background for earning teacher licensure should contact the Office of Student Services in the College of Education about requirements.