The Bachelor of Arts with a major in German requires a minimum of 120 s.h., including at least 30 s.h. of work for the major. Students must maintain a g.p.a. of at least 2.00 in all courses for the major and in all UI courses for the major. They also must complete the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences GE CLAS CoreFurthering Language Incentive Program (FLIP) credit may not be counted toward the major.

A maximum of 15 s.h. of approved transfer credit may be counted toward the major, including study abroad course work. However, students may count up to 21 s.h. earned from the Academic Year in Freiburg program toward the major in German.

The German Language and Culture Advanced Placement (AP) exam with a score of 4 or higher is considered to be the equivalent to one of the 3000-level electives. Students with previous knowledge of German language should take the World Languages Placement Test (WLPT) to determine the best level for your first enrollment in a language course.

The Bachelor of Arts degree in German offers a comprehensive undergraduate program of study in German with emphases in the culture, literature, and language of Germany, Austria, and German-speaking Switzerland. It prepares students to use German that displays intercultural competency in fields as diverse as international business, teaching, engineering, medicine, music, museum studies, and linguistic or literary studies. Students may take two Department of German courses taught in English if enrolled in the 4-semester hour section of the course(s), but the rest of the student's courses will be taught in German.

Listed below are the general categories of coursework required to earn the degree; for more specific information on courses, curriculum, and requirements of the Bachelor of Arts in German, visit the UI General Catalog.

Coursework Requirements
Title Hours
Core Courses 9
Linguistics Course 3
Literature/Film Courses 6
Culture Course 3
Electives 9
Total Hours 30

Study Abroad

The University of Iowa offers a number of opportunities for study in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. Students frequently choose to participate in the summer USAC Lüneburg program, the Dortmund University Exchange, or the Academic Year in Freiburg program at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg. Students should consult the Office of Study Abroad and the German undergraduate advisor to select a program that fits their interests.

For German majors, the year-long Freiburg program provides the most comprehensive linguistic and professional preparation for a future career involving German. The Academic Year in Freiburg program is offered by a consortium made up of the University of Iowa, Michigan State University, the University of Michigan, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. 

Students arrive during the first week of September and participate in a four-week intensive language program. Then they take a blend of special program classes and regular German university courses. Organized field trips are designed to give students a broader perspective on German culture. Vacation periods permit extensive travel throughout Europe, and students are encouraged to use weekends for shorter trips in the region.

To apply, students must have reached at least sophomore standing by the beginning of the program, have completed at least the first four semesters of college German or the equivalent with a g.p.a. of at least 3.00 in German, and be in good academic standing at a U.S. college or university.

Students earn resident credit in all courses successfully completed in the program. They may count up to 21 s.h. earned at Freiburg toward the major.

For more information about study abroad opportunities, contact the Department of German or International Programs Study Abroad.

Teacher Licensure

Students interested in teaching in elementary and/or secondary schools should seek admission to the Teacher Education Program (TEP) in the College of Education.

To qualify for licensure in secondary teaching, students in the TEP complete a degree in education as well as a related College of Liberal Arts and Sciences degree. See Teacher Education Program Application and Admission on the College of Education website for details on requirements and deadlines for applying to the College of Education and about TEP choices of majors leading to licensure.