Master of Arts in German
The Master of Arts program in German is attractive to highly motivated students who plan to study abroad and who plan to pursue a Ph.D. in German or second language acquisition. It may serve as preparation for other programs, such as those related to international studies, library science, business with an international focus, or international relations.
- mastery level of competence and proficiency in spoken and written German. Ability to change between languages and registers with ease as well as express sophisticated ideas in both English and German;
- ability to perform a formal analysis of literary texts from a variety of genres, including narrative, poetry, theater and those situated at the limits between traditional notions of genre as well as the visual arts;
- knowledge of the various periods and subfields of German literature;
- understanding of Critical Theory and its potential use for analyzing objects of study from a variety of media; and
- ability to think critically and make sustained and convincing arguments in relation to scholarship in the field, as well as express original opinions and thinking, as evidenced in a body of scholarship such as final papers or a dissertation.
Want to get started?
Learn more about the program, including courses, curriculum, and requirements here.